I have been meeting with the Select Board and the Finance Committee to discuss the proposed Town of Amherst budget for the period July 1, 2009 to June 30, 2010. As you may know, the projected revenue from the Commonwealth has been reduced by $2,800,000. That dramatic reduction requires the Town to implement steps to meet that funding gap. Those steps include funding social service programs from the Community Development Block Grant fund and not local property taxes; it includes increases in fees for Leisure Services and Supplemental Education (LSSE) programs; it includes increases in ambulance fees for individual users and the towns of Hadley, Leveritt, Shutesbury and Pelham; it includes reorganization and potentially regionalization of the Police Communication and Dispatch Center; it includes the elimination of five positions in the town budget. Certainly, there will be more changes that need to be made. However, I am doing my best to reduce the need to lay employees off.
I have sent a letter to the three unions currently under contract with the town. I hope to have a conversation about the contracted Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) of 3 1/2% scheduled for implementation on July 1, 2009. The reduction or elimination of the COLA would go a long way to resolving our budgetary problem for next year. In order to show leadership and to set an example, I will not accept a COLA for next year. Further, the town department heads have stated that they would be willing to accept a COLA adjustment less than previously committed consistent with the school administration. I am pleased and proud of the position that the department heads have taken.
I have been invited to participate on a weekly radio show with Jay Fedanza of WHAI of Greenfield, Massachusetts. The spot will run weekly on Tuesday morning. The show is designed to highlight the various activities of Amherst for the previous week.
Finally, it looks as if I will have my left hip replaced on June 15, 2009. I had the right hip replaced in 2004. I am hoping for same terrific results-----higher mobility and no pain.
Have a great weekend.
Larry
Friday, February 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment