On Monday, August 25th, I attended the birthday celebration for Gertrude Abrams at the beautiful Arbors on University Drive. Mrs. Abrams is 101 years old. She is also the oldest citizen in Amherst and, for that remarkable feat, was awarded the traditional Boston Post Cane. I was moved by her grace and serenity. Nancy Pagano, Senior Center Director and Barbara Sutherland, Chair of the Council on Aging, both incredible advocates for senior citizens, also attended the celebration.
On Tuesday, I attended the reception to welcome international students attending the various local educational institutions of higher education. It was great to witness the fantastic energy and excitement that the international students bring to our community. They make Amherst a richer place to live. Gerry Weiss, Chair of the Select Board and I formally greeted the international students on behalf of the Town of Amherst.
On Wednesday, I attended the opening session for teachers at the Amherst Regional High School. I was very impressed with the presentation by Alton Sprague and Helen Vivian, the Interim Co-Superintendents. Both possess a unique combination of experience and practicality. Their quiet confidence and steady hand will serve the school district well. I was very impressed with our teachers. Their commitment to quality public education was in evidence throughout the morning. Select Board members Stephanie O'Keeffe and Alisa Brewer were also in attendance.
Daily, I am reminded of the greatness of our community.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Does the town have a written moderation policy for this blog? I'd like to see it so I know what is and what is not permitted.
Is this blog an official Town Manager forum? As such, can we expect that this forum will not engage in curtailing free speech? As you surely know, the first amendment to the Constitution prohibits the government from doing so.
Post a Comment