Tuesday, September 16, 2008

EARLY SEPTEMBER ACTIVITIES

Last week, I had the opportunity to speak at the monthly meeting of the Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce at the Lord Jeffery Inn. It was great to see an audience of over one hundred members of the local business community. I spent a significant portion of the presentation discussing some of the accomplishments of the last year. The theme of the presentation was that positive change has been occurring and will continue as long as we value open communication and collaboration. I thanked and congratulated outgoing Executive Director, Patty Brandts for her service to the Amherst Area Chamber of Commerce and wished the best to the new Executive Director, Tony Maroulis.

That same day I attended my first meeting with the Pioneer Valley Transit Authority Advisory Board. As the reader may know, I replaced former Select Board member Anne Awad who served with distinction on the PVTA Advisory Board on behalf of Amherst. I have much to learn but I look forward to understanding how I might advance the best interests of Amherst and the region through my participation.

On Friday, I attended a joint meeting of the Parking Task Force and the Public Transportation Committee to discuss the anticipated shortfall in the budget for the funding of the north/south Puffers to Atkins bus route. The route was budgeted to cost approximately $112,000.00 but the increase in fuel costs increase the projected cost to approximately $125,000.00. The consensus of both committees was that the service was too important to eliminate or dramatically revise and that the Town should stay the course. The shortfall will be recommended for appropriation at the Special Town Meeting this fall.

Finally, I attended the going away party for Bob Brandts, long time Town Leisure Services Sports and Recreation Director. The event was held at beautiful Cherry Hill. Bob is a great guy. The Town is very excited about Bob's replacement, Mark Miville. Mark is the former Atheltic Director of Mahar High School. He will do a wonderful job for Amherst.

1 comment:

O'Reilly said...

Will Early September Activities include responding to questions by residents posted in the comment section of your blog, here, here, here and below.

If you plan to not respond to questions, just say so. I will rename your blog, the 'blo', because as a opposed to a real blog, only a little more than half works.

It's not just me, most bloggers expect to answer questions posed in their comments sections. That's kind of the point of the medium.

Does the town have a written moderation policy for this blog? I'd like to see it so I know what is and what is not permitted.

Is this blog an official Town Manager forum? As such, can we expect that this forum will not engage in curtailing free speech? As you surely know, the first amendment to the Constitution prohibits the government from doing so.