Monday, September 29, 2008

Manager's Conference - Richmond, VA

I attended the International City Managers Association (ICMA) annual conference held in Richmond, Virginia. It was a great opportunity to visit with many city and town managers from across the country and the world. It was good to hear how communities handle challenges similar to those experienced in Amherst. One such example is the Traffic Calming Program created by Henrico County, Virginia. This straight forward and logical program identifies the steps that the various petitioners must follow along with a series of interventions. Those interventions are measured for results. If the initial intervention is not effective then the next intervention is implemented. The program is defined by an articulated policy and implemented consistently throughout the county. I will ask Guilford Mooring, Superintendent of Public Works and the Public Works Committee to review and comment on the Henrico County Traffic Calming Program in preparation for consideration by the Select Board. I also attended a very interesting seminar conducted by ICMA University on how to measure Police Department and Fire Department productivity. The conference also featured presentations by Michael Beschloss, award winning historian on leadership along with a presentation by PBS television commentator, Cokie Roberts. I learned a great deal at the conference but it is always good to be back home.

No comments: