Last Saturday morning, by invitation of Ann Grose, I spoke to a group of about fifty people at Applewood, a housing complex located in South Amherst. The group was enthusiastic and asked many questions about the financial condition of Amherst. I was grateful for the opportunity to discuss Amherst and its future to such a wonderful group.
On Sunday, I attended a ceremony sponsored by the Hitchcock Center to cut the ribbon to a newly refurbished portion of the hiking trail and viewing stands at the Larch Hill Conservation Area. I was very impressed with the many volunteers that contribute to make the Hitchcock Center and Amherst's conservation property such a terrific asset. Many thanks to Julie Johnson, the Executive Director of the Hitchcock Center and David Ziomek, the Director of Conservation for all they do to preserve our wonderful natural heritage.
I have been discussing the challenges of the upcoming Presidential Election with our Town Clerk, Sandra Burgess. Sandra believes that this years election will be historic in terms of the size of voter turnout. We have been planning how to accommodate as many voters as possible without significant wait times. Our goal is to ensure that the process is as smooth and quick as possible.
I have confidence that Sandra and her fantastic team will develop reasonable procedures to achieve that goal.
Best wishes to everyone for a great weekend.
Larry Shaffer
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I believe you spoke to a group like this almost two years ago and when the subject of an Override came up, not a single senior in the room was in favor.
I hope you encouraged these folks to fill out the questionnaire issued by the Facilitation Of The Community Choices Committee.
Do you read comments on this blog? Do you respond to questions posed about your post?
Post a Comment